Taste the flavors of the Blue Ridge Mountains, distilled into handcrafted spirits and brewed into local craft beverages.
Visit 11 uniquely crafted tasting experiences along the Blue Ridge Traveler’s High Spirits Trail to experience the craftsmanship of local brewers, vintners and distillers using ingredients grown right here in Western N.C.
Enjoy your sips alongside locally made snacks like specialty cheeses, charcuterie, wood-fired pizza, nachos and cupcakes. Pick up a T-shirt or branded glass as a unique souvenir from your craft beverage exploration. And don’t miss the many nearby adventures, from hiking and biking trails to lakes and waterfalls.
What to expect along the High Spirits Trail
Check with each stop on your itinerary for hours of operation and other details — like live music, special events or whether dogs are welcome on outdoor patios.
Marion’s 3/10 District
Visit downtown Marion to experience five trail stops:
- Mica Town Brewing — McDowell County’s first brewery, rooted in the local community
- Refinery 13 Taproom — offering a menu of craft beers brewed in Western N.C.
- Taylors Brewing Co. — a laid-back taproom with 15+ taps and a rotating food menu
- Keepers Cut Meadery — featuring several traditional and flavored meads, wines made from honey
- Copper Creek Distillery — a tasting room serving up samples of traditional mountain moonshine
Nebo & Lake James
You’ll find another three stops not far from the shores of Lake James. Enjoy a glass of delicious local beer or wine after a day on the water or exploring the hiking trails of Lake James State Park.
- Mica Town Brewing Nebo — Mica Town’s Nebo Stop and Sip location features many of the brewery’s favorites, plus varieties of their LKJ ciders
- South Creek Winery & Vineyard — Take a tour of this boutique winery or enjoy a tasting on the porch. Be sure to check the event calendar for summertime live music performances.
- Fonta Flora Brewery Whipporwill Farm — Enjoy a pint on the sprawling lawn surrounding this taproom’s picturesque barn.
Adventures Further Afield
Take a drive to these tasty Blue Ridge Mountain beverage spots, and check out nearby adventures too.
- Hillman Beer — This creekside brewery in Old Fort is the perfect stop after a day of mountain biking on the many nearby trails in Pisgah National Forest.
- Silver Fork Winery — A relaxed tasting room featuring family-grown Bordeaux-style wines
- Linville Falls Winery — Located just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and one mile away from the famous Linville Falls, this family-owned winery hosts live music May-October.
Download your High Spirits Trail Guide or request one by mail below.